Who are the real 'Islamophobes'?
We hear a lot about “Islamophobia” today.
When anyone suggests the world has a problem with radical Islamic terrorism, you can count on a barrage of invectives and name-calling.
But what is “Islamophobia”? Obviously, it’s a made-up term designed to stifle free and open debate. But if we take it apart, it means “fear of Islam.” And it’s a term of derision and ostracism hurled at those who point out some obvious facts.
While only a small percentage of Muslims are terrorists, a very high percentage of terrorists are Muslims.
Here are a few reminders:
- The “shoe bomber” was a Muslim.
- The Beltway Snipers were Muslims.
- The Fort Hood shooter was a Muslim.
- The USS Cole bombers were Muslims.
- The “underwear bomber” was a Muslim.
- The Madrid train bombers were Muslims.
- The Times Square bomber was a Muslim.
- The Bali nightclub bombers were Muslims.
- The London subway bombers were Muslims.
- The Moscow theater attackers were Muslims.
- The Pulse nightclub shooter was a Muslim.
- The Boston Marathon bombers were Muslims.
- The Iranian Embassy takeover was by Muslims.
- The Pan-Am Flight 103 bombers were Muslims.
- The San Bernardino shooters were both Muslims.
- The Air France Entebbe hijackers were Muslims.
- The Benghazi attack on the U.S. consulate was by Muslims.
- The Buenos Aires suicide bombers were Muslims.
- The Kenyan U..S Embassy bombers were Muslims.
- The Israeli Olympic Team attackers were Muslims.
- The Saudi Khobar Towers bombers were Muslims.
- The Beirut Marine barracks bombers were Muslims.
- The Beslan Russian school attackers were Muslims.
- The Achille Lauro cruise ship attackers were Muslims.
- The 1993 World Trade Center bombers were Muslims.
- The Bombay and Mumbai India attackers were Muslims.
- The Sept. 11 airplane hijackers were Muslims.
And, of course, once again, the recent attack on a concert in the UK was perpetrated by Muslims.
These facts cannot be ignored for fear of being called an “Islamophobe.”
But I’ll tell you something about that term that I think I have finally figured out: The people who formulate these epithets often accuse others of doing exactly what they do. And, with that in mind, let me suggest to you that the real “Islamophobes” are those who accuse others of being “Islamophobes.”
They are the fearful ones.
They are the ones who won’t report what they see with their own eyes.
They are the ones who deny reality.
They are the ones who proclaim Islam is simply “a religion of peace,” refusing to connect deeds of hate, terror, cruelty and conquest over 1,300 years with a single, twisted ideology right out of the pit of hell.
One of the motivations for doing this, I believe, is to ward off attacks on themselves. It’s like an insurance policy. They are hoping and pretending that if they blindly and uniformly excuse Islam from any responsibility for terrorist attacks, they themselves will not be victimized.
That’s why they are the real “Islamophobes” – actually blinded by fear to the stark truth they should see all around them.
For instance, my Arab grandparents fled the Middle East in early 20th century to make their way to America so they could worship as Christians in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Were they “Islamophobes” for making that choice? Of course not. And I thank God every day of my life they made that decision.
Am I an “Islamophobe” for noticing that what the persecution they sought to escape 100 years ago is now coming home to plague my children and grandchildren?
I don’t think so.
I just live in the real world – not a world of pretend.
The real “Islamophobes” clearly live in a world of make-believe in which radical Islamic terrorism is an imaginary problem found only in the minds of bigots.