Senator BLOCKS Ted Cruz bill to seize passports from ISIS fighters who return to the US
- Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Hawaii Democrat, stood to object when Texas GOP Sen. Ted Cruz asked for 'unanimous consent' to pass his bill quickly
- The measure would have terminated the citizenship of any American who joins or assists a terror group that's likely to attack US interests
- Hirono insisted that the bill raised constitutional questions and cited complaints from the American Civil Liberties Union
- Secretary of State John Kerry told Congress that 'foreign fighters' who help ISIS should return 'in handcuffs – not through customs with their passport'
- Kerry said he has authority to cancel passports; the FBI director said it's sometimes useful to let terrorists back into the country and watch them