(by Deborah Dupre) -- Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia’s transport minister, said Thursday night at a secret meeting in Kuala Lumpur with Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 passengers’ families that he believes all the passengers are still alive. This has been reported by Associated Press, The Guardian and CBS News.
Malaysian transport minister said he “believes that my child and all the other passengers are still alive,” said Hamid Amran, father of a child on Flight 370, speaking about transport minister Hussein after a secret meeting with him, other officials and families of passengers, according to an Associated Press report. “I will not give up hope.”
Officials held a secret meeting Thursday evening exclusively with Flight 370 passengers’ relatives in a hotel near Kuala Lumpur. Journalists were banned. Afterwards, groups of people left looking distraught, according to an Associated Press report. Hamid Amran, who had a child on Flight 370, said questions asked at the meeting made it “apparent that Malaysia’s military is incapable of protecting its own airspace”.
Debris False Hope, Jeapordising SAR
There have been continual false leads since the Boeing 777 disappeared March 8 above the Gulf of Thailand en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The plane was diverted toward the Maldives and then headed south from there – some say. US officials, very quiet for over a week after the MH370 went missing, are now guiding the world to believe the plane’s now in Pakistan, possibly readying for use in a terrorist attack.
“The chances of it being debris from the airplane are probably small, and the chances of it being debris from other shipping are probably large,” said aviation Prof. Jason Middleton, of University of New South Wales in Sydney.
The transportation minister indicating passengers are alive concurs with Retired Air Force General Thomas McInerney, who continues maintaining that the missing Malaysian Airlines flight might very well have landed in Pakistan. He said Tuesday his theory is based on more than mere conjecture.
“General, I’ve known you a long time, I know you too well to know that you’re not just making this up, this is not something you’ve concocted. You’ve spoken to a number of people, am I correct?” Sean Hannity asked McInerney during Tuesday night’s “Hannity” episode on Fox News. (Video below)
“Yes, but that’s all I want to say, Sean, please,” McInerney responded. Regarding passengers, McInerney said, “I don’t know anything about their status.”
McInerney pointed to U.S. and Israeli militaries’ actions in recent days, suggesting much more is known about the missing flight than so far revealed: “First of all, let me say, when the U.S. Navy quits their search — their ship search — they must know something in the Indian Ocean,” he said. “When the Israeli Defense Forces, when they increase their air defense alert, they must know something.”
“My concern is, if this airplane could be used as a bearer of a weapon of mass destruction or even conventional munitions that could attack a carrier, the Israelis, other allies, American Forces, for instance,” he added. “We have to be very alert until we know exactly where this airplane is.”
McInerney said he believes “both pilots may have been complicit” and the U.S. knows much more than it is letting on. “I think they want to be very cautious because they don’t want to embarrass certain other nations that we’re working close.”