(NBC NEWS) -- Fort Hood shooter Nidal Hasan has been dishonorably discharged from the United States Army, according to military officials.
NBC 5 DFW Investigates spoke with Chris Haug, chief of media relations at Fort Hood.
Haug said, according to the Senior Judge Advocate General at Fort Hood, Hasan is “no longer a military serviceman. He has no rank and is dishonorably discharged from the Army” following his court martial and sentencing for the mass shooting at Fort Hood in 2009.
Haug said going forward, Hasan will be called simply “inmate Nidal Hasan” at the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
Haug detailed that it will technically take some time until the paperwork is signed removing Hasan from the Army’s ranks. But Haug said the order will eventually be signed and backdated to the date of conviction, effectively removing Hasan from the Army as of his conviction date.
A military panel also ordered that Hasan be stripped of his military pay. However that order will not take effect until place 14 days following his sentencing. Hasan will continue to receive his full military salary until Sept. 10.
Earlier this year, NBC 5 Investigates was the first to report that the Department of Defense showed Hasan had been paid about $300,000 after his arrest for the Nov. 5, 2009, shooting. Read more via Weasel Zippers...