Via Herald News:
After two attacks on uniformed soldiers this week in other provinces, Atlantic military personnel were ordered to avoid appearing in public in uniform.
Emailed instructions were sent on behalf of Rear Admiral John Newton about an hour after a soldier was shot at the War Memorial in downtown Ottawa at about 11 a.m. Atlantic time.
Titled “Urgent measures,” the email asked personnel to stay in their respective buildings for the time being.
“In light of the current situation happening in Ottawa,” Newton also asked staff “to restrict movement in uniform in public as much as possible.”
A note was added saying that to get the message out quickly, it was being sent only in English and that French would follow later.
Newton commands the Maritime Forces Atlantic, which includes more than 5,000 military personnel, and he is also the commander of Joint Task Force Atlantic, with 18,000 personnel.
CBC News reported that all military bases across the country were shut on Wednesday.
In Halifax, at least one pair of gates at Stadacona base was open at 1 p.m., with those entering being stopped for identification.
Spokesman Capt. Peter Ryan said he couldn’t speak specifically about security measures taken in the Atlantic region, but that they had been changed from the norm.
“Following an incident at the National War Memorial and Parliament Hill this morning, Canadian Forces Base Halifax has adapted its security posture,” he said.
“The Canadian Armed Force is continually adapting to meet the demands of an evolving security environment. For reasons of operational security, we do not discuss specific security measures that are in place to ensure the safety and security of our personnel.”
Just outside Montreal on Monday, two soldiers were walking in a parking lot when a man struck them with his car. One of the soldiers, Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, later died. One of the soldiers was in uniform.
Police chased and killed the assailant, Martin Couture-Rouleau, and the Canadian Security Agency described the attack as “the violent expression of an extremist ideology.”
Global News reported that just before the attack, Canada’s domestic terrorism threat level was raised for the first time in four years from unlikely to “could occur.”
On Wednesday, one witness to the Ottawa shooting said he was “fairly certain” the victim was a ceremonial guards at the War Memorial, reported The Canadian Press. That situation, in which at least one shooter reportedly entered the buildings of Parliament, is still unfolding.