EXCLUSIVE - 'A cover up just like Benghazi': Outraged parents of officer who died hunting for 'deserter' POW Bergdahl lash out at Obama over 'LIES' they were told about how their hero son died
- Lt Darryn Andrews, from Dallas, Texas, died at the age of 34 on Sept 4, 2009 during his second tour of Afghanistan
- Top brass told his parents, Sondra and Andy, that he had been looking for a top Taliban commander
- But former comrades have now claimed the truth is that he was looking for Bowe Bergdahl
- Said to be one of six soldiers who died looking for the POW
- Father said: 'For his family it’s good to get him back but we will never be able to get our son back because of the actions of this guy'
- Lt Andrews' parents revealed their son thought Bergdahl was a 'deserter'
- Lt Andrews was posthumously given a silver star for his bravery
- At time of his death his wife Julie, 30, had already given birth to their son, six. Their daughter was born three-and-a-half months after he died
- Father Andy against trade with terrorists
- The Facebook group 'Bowe Bergdahl is NOT hero!' has 5,400 members
- Bergdahl e-mailed his parents saying he 'was ashamed to be an American'
Via Daily Mail:
The furious parents of an officer who they claim was killed while searching for freed Taliban prisoner Bowe Bergdahl today said that they have been lied to as part of a ‘cover up just like Benghazi’.
The mother and father of Second Lieutenant Darryn Andrews are angry that they have been told different stories about how their son died.
First his commanders said that their son was blown up while hunting a Taliban commander – but only now that Bergdahl has been freed after five years in captivity are they learning the truth.
Lt Andrews’ parents told MailOnline that their own son branded Bergdahl a ‘deserter’ before he was killed.
In an exclusive interview his father Andy Andrews told MailOnline: ‘For his family it’s good to get him back but we will never be able to get our son back because of the actions of this guy (Bergdahl).
‘I think people need to be aware that the guy was not a hero and American lives have been lost trying to save this deserter’.
Lt Andrews was one of six men who died while apparently searching for Bergdahl, who is said to have voluntarily left his post in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009.