Quantcast

1 Dead, Dozens Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leak At Long Island Mall...

005.jpg

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – One person is dead and at least two dozen others were rushed to area hospitals for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at a mall on Long Island Saturday evening.

As CBS 2′s Hazel Sanchez reported, police said 55-year-old Steven Nelson, the manager of the Legal Sea Foods restaurant located at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station, was killed by the odorless gas.

A total of 28 people were also rushed to area hospitals and treated for elevated levels of carbon monoxide, 1010 WINS reported.

“The original call was that a woman had fallen and had a head injury. That’s possibly as a result of the carbon monoxide. That ultimately was not the person who died. That was someone else. But that’s what started the response of the emergency personel,” Suffolk County Police Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick told Sanchez.

A spokesperson for Huntington Hospital said 10 of those sickened were rushed there and that others were triaged at the scene, 1010 WINS reported.

Fitzpatrick said four of those affected were ambulatory workers and three were police officers who responded to the scene, WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall reported.

Police said the leak originated in the basement of Panera Bread, possibly due to a faulty heating system, Sanchez reported.

The Panera Bread as well as the neighboring Cheesecake Factory were evacuated as a precaution. Read more...

WhatsApp has outage after $19B FACEBOOK deal... 'Funny money'...

The Mysterious Case of Elisa Lam