TRUMP GOES TO WAR OVER WIDOW PHONE CALL
War of words: Trump denies telling Special Forces soldier's widow in speakerphone call to family that her husband 'knew what he signed up for' – as congresswoman who heard it says president 'has a brain disorder' and didn't even know slain man's name
- Donald Trump called the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson on Tuesday afternoon
- Myeshia Johnson was on her way to Miami airport where her husband's remains were arriving when she took the president's call
- Rep. Frederica Wilson said she was sitting beside the grieving widow when Trump said on speakerphone that the slain solider 'knew what he signed up for'
- The widow 'was in tears. And she said, "He didn't even remember his name!"'
- Heartbreaking footage later showed Johnson, who is pregnant with the couple's third child, sobbing over her husband's flag-draped coffin
- Trump denied saying that, tweeting on Wednesday morning that that the 'Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said ... (and I have proof)'
- 'Yes, he said it,' Wilson told WPLG; 'It's so insensitive. He should have not have said that. He shouldn't have said it'
- Miami-Dade Commissioner Barbara Jordan was also in the car and backed up Wilson’s version of the call in an MSNBC interview, as did Johnson's mother
- Wilson said Wednesday on CNN: 'This gentleman has a brain disorder, and he needs to be checked out. ... We should be praising his family, not insulting them'
- A GoFundMe page set up for Johnson's three children's college funds has already raised more than $300,000 in one day