State Dept contradicts DOJ, says fewer than 60K visas were revoked
The State Department on Friday contradicted a Justice Department lawyer who earlier in the day told a federal judge that over 100,000 visas were revoked to comply with President Trump’s temporary ban on travel from seven Muslim-majority countries.
The actual number is far lower, according to State.
“Fewer than 60,000 individuals’ visas were provisionally revoked to comply with the executive order,” said Will Cocks, spokesman for the department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs.
The State Department is the custodian of the relevant records, a separate spokesperson noted. The agency stands by those numbers and is trying to identify the source of the discrepancy, the spokesperson told The Hill.