Pentagon to fund medical treatment for transgender troops into March
Transgender troops can continue receiving transition-related medical treatment for now, the Pentagon said Monday, amid mounting challenges to President Donald Trump’s effective ban on funding such procedures as well as enlisting new openly transgender personnel.
Trump blindsided the Pentagon in July when he tweeted that transgender troops, who had been allowed to serve openly under rules implemented by Barack Obama’s administration, would be barred from the military.
The White House formalized the decree in an August 25 directive, but Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has ordered the current Obama-era policy remain in effect until officials conduct a review of how a ban might be implemented.
“First and foremost, we will continue to treat every service member with dignity and respect,” Mattis said in the memo to service chiefs released Monday.