House Committee Releases Final Benghazi Report - Concludes White House Misled Public
The House Select Committee on Benghazi recently filed its final report into the Congressional Record last week, ending the investigation into the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attack that became intertwined with Hillary Clinton’s legacy at the State Department.
The report concluded that the Obama administration misled the public about the events surrounding the deadly assault on a U.S. compound in Libya and did little to cooperate with the panel, with committee member Rep. Mike Pompeo, President-elect Donald Trump’s choice to be the next CIA director, saying the group answered many questions but could not do so “completely.”
Rep. Trey Gowdy, South Carolina Republican and the panel chairman, said the report is the “final, definitive accounting” of what happened in Benghazi.
“The committee is proud to have been able to tell the story of the ingenuity and bravery displayed by our nation’s heroes in Benghazi, who banded together to save one another, when no other help was ever on the way,” he said. “On behalf of the committee, we thank all the witnesses who appeared and helped us in providing the definitive account.”
In putting together the approximately 800-page report, the committee interviewed more than 100 witnesses, including more than 80 who hadn’t faced questions from Congress before.