Popular Biker Bar, Full Throttle Saloon, Burned Down in Sturgis... UPDATE: 500 Gallons of Grain Alcohol Fueled Blaze...
STURGIS, S.D. - Fire crews have spent a good portion of Tuesday mopping up from a massive fire that destroyed the Full Throttle Saloon east of Sturgis.
All that remains is smoldering rubble of the building that became engulfed in flames just after 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Crews from the Sturgis Volunteer Fire Department were among the first to respond and find smoke coming from the roof of the structure. A passer-by reportedly informed the clerk at the Kickstart Convenience Store across the highway of smoke coming from the building.
Sturgis Assistant Fire Chief Shawn Barrows says crews tried to get inside but heat and smoke forced firefighters to battle the blaze from the outside in heavy winds. Crews worked diligently to keep the fire from spreading to nearby structures – including the convenience store across the highway. The building was completely on the ground by 3 a.m.