By Stephen Dinan, The Washington Times
The administration processed about 100,000 applications for amnesty for so-called Dreamers under some of the expanded rules President Obama announced last year, lawyers told a Texas judge late Tuesday, in a move that could complicate their claim that they have halted all action under the amnesty.
Mr. Obama’s Nov. 20 announcement offered a number of different benefits to illegal immigrants, including expanding eligibility for his 2012 amnesty for Dreamers and boosting the amount of time he was granting an amnesty form deportation and permits for legal work from two years to three years.
While the administration hadn’t begun collecting applications under the expanded eligibility, it had awarded tens of thousands of three-year permits to applicants who had qualified as Dreamers under the original rules from 2012.
DOJ: We Legalized 100,000 Illegals by Executive Action Before Injunction
By Susan Jones, CNS News
(CNSNews.com) - President Obama's expanded executive amnesty started earlier than the administration said it would -- and before a court blocked it.
"Out of an abundance of caution," the Obama Justice Department on Tuesday informed a federal court in Texas that it started issuing three-year work permits to thousands of illegal aliens right after President Obama announced his executive amnesty on November 20 -- and before a federal court issued a preliminary injuction blocking the expanded amnesty on Feb. 16.