'My son is a good person,' says mother of man who bought guns used in San Bernardino attack
The mother of the man who purchased the weapons used to carry out last week's deadly shooting at a San Bernardino social services center said Thursday her son was a "good person" despite growing concerns about his links to the man at the center of the terrorist attacks.
Armida Chacon sobbed as she spoke briefly to reporters in Riverside, saying she hadn't been in contact with her son, Enrique Marquez, since Dec. 2, the day his friend Syed Rizwan Farook killed 14 people at the Inland Regional Center.
"I don't know how this happened. ... My world is upside down," she said. "My life changed Wednesday."
Chacon was outside with one of her sons, cleaning up the broken glass and twisted panels of their garage door. The damage occurred when federal agents raided their Riverside home over the weekend, as Marquez became a central figure in the widening investigation into the deadliest terror attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11, 2001.
Marquez, a 24-year-old cycling enthusiast who wanted to join the U.S. military, purchased two of the military-style rifles that Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, used in the Dec. 2 attack, federal officials have said. He later gave the weapons to Farook, a longtime friend and former neighbor, though paperwork transferring ownership of the rifles was never filed, government officials told The Times.